• Crocodiles live up to 70 years and can reach 15 feet in length and weigh 2,000 lbs. • A mother crocodile can carry her young in a pouch inside her mouth. • Crocodiles close their nostrils while under water. • Crocodiles can reach a land speed of 25 mph or 40 kmph. This creature can be also be in the water for about 2 up to 3 hours. • A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.
• A blindfolded dolphin can find a nickel at the bottom of its tank • There are pink dolphins in the Amazon river • Dolphins develop their own indiviual whistles that effectively act as their own name • Dolphins shut down half of their brains when they sleep • Because dolphins are mammals, they need to come to the surface of the water to breathe.
• Hedgehogs are the only British mammal with spines • A group of hedgehogs is called an “array” • The hedgehog is born with its spines lying just under the skin. The spines will “sprout” 2-3 days after they are born • A hedgehog’s heart beats 300 times a minute on average • If necessary, a hedgehog can run over six feet per second. In fact, many hedgehogs will attempt to escape an attacker before they roll into a protective, spiny ball
• Kangaroos are the only large animals that move by hopping • A group of kangaroos is called a mob. • Female kangaroos can determine the sex of their offspring. • A fully grown kangaroo can jump up to 40 feet and bounce along at speeds up to 40mph • Kangaroos can go months without drinking, and when they do need water, will dig their own water wells to find it.
• Meerkats can run at a speed of up to 37 miles per hour. • Meerkats are immune to scorpion and snake venom • They get up later on cold or rainy days just like humans! • The animal is known to have special calls, meant for specific purposes.Some calls indicate the approach of snakes and birds of prey, while others give the signal about the coming of predators. • Meerkats vision is outstanding. They have a dark band around their eyes, which acts like sun glasses and reduces any glare from the sun so have the ability to see a predatory bird as they look directly into the sun.
• A newborn panda weighs as much as a cup of tea • Pandas have lived on Earth for two to three million years. • A panda can spend 14-16 hours a day eating bamboo. • Most of the food a panda eats is not digested. For this reason, they can produce up to 62lbs. of droppings a day. • Pandas bleat like goats
Link to this post!
About the Author
One of the most successful ways to build any kind of relationship is through a common interest. As a passionate animal lover, I set up Pet Lovers Match to help pet and animal lovers meet like minded people.